Thursday, August 13, 2009

Generation Afrikaans, Chapter One



Hello, and welcome to the new Around the World Legacy. Or, in Afrikaans, Rondom Die Wêreld.
Once upon a time, I played the sims 2, and created a legacy, Around The World: An Alphabet Legacy, which was unfortunately destroyed when my computer crashed. Now I have the sims 3 on my new laptop, and though I already have two other legacies, I'm interested in trying to recreate that family again.
Sort of.
Last time, I had a rule where each generation had to have at least one boy and one girl, or five kids of the same gender, but I've gotten rid of that. Also, last time each generation was giving names starting with their letter from a country starting with that letter. For example, a sim from generation A could be given the Armenian name Adroushan.
This time, each generation will be named a word starting with their letter from a language starting with that letter so a sim from generation A could be named Antwoord, the Afrikaans word for Answer. I'm trying to use different and interesting words and languages, as well.
And finally, the final change. Last time my founder was Bliss Alphabetacy. This time her name is Leslie Legacy, and she looks like this:

She has freckles, red hair, and light blue eyes. She is unlucky, brave, a natural cook, handy, and friendly. She wants to reach the top of the culinary career.

On her first day in town, I took Leslie to the park to find a husband, and there was a protest going on across the street at town hall! My first ever protest, wow.

Anyway, some of you might recognize this man. His name is Leighton Sekemoto, and even though he is carrying a kid, Leslie latched right onto him right away.

And she took him back to her place.
"This is your house? I thought you were rich!"
Ah, the life of a legacy founder.

I pride myself on going from just meeting to married and pregnant in a single day, but Leighton was tired and Leslie wasn't exactly in the best mood herself.

Yes, yes, I know what you're thinking, but they didn't. She asked him to stay over and he hopped right in bed.

The next morning Leslie sprung an engagement on him. She didn't want to waste any time.

Dum-dum-de-dum. Let's go, people, finish up the wedding and get with the spawn-making.

I know what you're thinking. And yes, this time they did.

Leslie discovers she's pregnant in the brand new bathroom they bought with Leighton's money. They saved the rest of it to build a kitchen later.

And some time later Leslie goes into labor. I don't have a picture of the baby, but it's a girl, named Asseblief.
Asseblief is an Afrikaans word meaning Please.
Afrikaans is a language derived from Dutch that is spoken in South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Lesotho, and Swaziland.

Ah, here's a picture of little Asseblief, going to her toddler birthday. And you can tell that Leslie is pregnant again by her ugly clothes.

Asseblief grew up into a toddler. She looks like her mother with her father's eye color and hair, and a mix of their skin tones.

Oh, and I gave Leighton a belated make-over. I like his hair better like this, don't you?

Leslie had another girl. I named this one Advertensie, which means Advertisement.

Advertensie looks like her father. She has her mother's hair and lips, eyes from her father's side, and again a mix of their skin tones.

Blah, blah, blah, pregnant again.

Meanwhile, Leighton is getting pretty high up in the athletic career. Hopefully he'll top it, they need money. Though all the bonuses from promotions are nice. Poor Leslie hasn't gone to work once. She got her job and the next day got pregnant, and has been on maternity leave ever since.

And it's another girl! Her name is Afdeling which means Department. Why yes, I did get my list from a website meant for business men and women, how can you tell?

I think that, since Leighton wants to raise five kids from baby to teen, and he already had one son that made it to teen, that means they only have to have four kids, right? Don't tell me they have to live in the same house, because I will scream.

I was really reluctant to let Leslie get pregnant a fourth time. Here she is hanging out in some maternity clothes from her previous pregnancies, making food. She loves to cook, and it seems like she's always itching to get back in the kitchen. She must hate not being able to go to work.

Because of his crazy work schedule, Leighton didn't have any time to get her pregnant anyway. So Leslie spent a few days gloriously un-hormonal, and soon it was time for Asseblief to become a child.

Yes, I can clearly see Leslie in her, though that may be her father's chin.

Asseblief makes herself useful painting and selling paintings, so they can afford to buy back the crib they sold to buy her a bed. Why?

Leslie is pregnant again.

Find out next time if it's a boy or another girl, and if they will have to have a fifth child or not.

4 comments:

  1. Hahahaha, what a classic legacy. But cooool, a South African legacy. It could get kinda confusing for those not familar with Afrikaans, maar dis nog lekker in my opinie....lol, I'm actually a english south african, can't say I was ever that good at Afrikaans.

    I'm very intrigued to see the zulu and xhosa names you come up with. All I actually know in xhosa is: Molo, ewe, hayi, eBayi (coz I'm in PE) and enkosi. (but I am learning it, slowly but surely)

    Anyway, consider yourself bookmarked :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, you know what, I think I jumped on the wrong bandwagon. My bad.

    It's not just South Africa, is it?. Sorry, I was in a rush and I read the word 'afrikaans' and that led to assumption. That'll teach me for speed reading, should rather wait till I have the time to sit down, lol. Tis one of those 'doh!' moments :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm quarter South African. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just started reading your legacy; it sounds like a really neat concept so far. Also, I clicked your DA link, and your photographs are lovely! You are very talented. :-)

    ReplyDelete